Thursday, September 20, 2007

A Spy at Willowbrook!


Willowbrook Museum is like a tiny town with multiple buildings. On September 15th, the Third Maine had their last encampment of the 2007 season. So to make things interesting I decided to be a Confederate spy. I even told Pvt Dick C that there were rumors of spys in the area. I tucked a letter to Rose Greenhow (a socialite from Washington DC who fed war secrets to the south), a letter From Rose and a map of the railroad system circa 1860 into my basket. Under the guise of being a member of the Maryland Bible Society, I entered camp and started asking questions about where the troop was headed. One Private told me they were going to Portland to the Train Depot. Trains I thought..... and proceeded to ask more questions about it. I didn't get too much info before heading to the next soldier. Finding no real info to feed Jeff Davis, I waiting until after lunch, informing (while out of 1860's character of course) 2 of the ladies present that I was a Spy trying to get caught. That I had clues in my book. Even with that no one thought to question my questioning. So I was forced to mail what little information I gathered to "Cousin Rose". I must have an honest face! Oh well, there's always next season!
Note the white basket on the porch, full of union secrets to be shared!
These guys & gals play awesome!
Important job here for the benefit of the union!

1 comment:

Wraithsq said...

That is so great, Deb! I have actually thought about doing that, too. But we shall see, I honestly think Dave would prefer I be captured and killed by the Confederacy than to be caught as a Union spy! The shame of it all! He would be humiliated!