Monday, September 10, 2007

September Storm part 2, Saturday Daytime



Saturday morning I left the comfort of the RV and headed the 10 miles to the event. It looked to be a hot and humid day in the making. I arrived around 7 am and greeted the Third Maine boys. It may sound odd, but when I look at them in uniform, I can't help but feel proud to be part of this group. They work so hard to be authentic and maintain a respectful and fun atmosphere.


Chef Bray, as always, works like a dog to get a decent meal ready for us. The Third Maine is so lucky to have him. After breakfast I was conscripted to meet someone with a lot of strips. He had Major in his title but something else too... I'll have to check with one of the boys. Anyway, All medical people were asked to do first aid/heat stroke duty. Because I am female, I was not allowed on the battle field despite the 90 plus heat. Women of 1862 just didn't go there. This is what I find the hardest about this hobby. I would prefer being in the thick of things, on the field if needed, If I was a male re-enactor, I would choose being a field surgeon, carrying my field kit into the battle. But I digress.... Our duty was to prepare an area to recieve heat casualties. So Mrs Cylik and I gathered ice, I went to the suttlers (again) and purchased a canvas bucket, we got plenty of rags and waited.





Somehow the call of the battlefield was just too much for me so I headed towards where I thought the troops would be. Over the hill and through the woods we went finding ourselves on the edge of the battlefield (before any battles started). I was able to take a few pictures but was already bright red with a sunburned face so didn't want to go to the spectator area in the full sun. While we watch, a gentleman approached us and explained that we need to move soon as the battle would end up where we were standing. Not wanting to go back through the woods, we headed towards a group of civilians. To our horror we ended up in the CS camp! Thankfully we could blend in as we followed a large group of Rebel soldiers back towards the sutlers and the mixed camp. Returning to the "ice stations" we waited.

Listening to the gunfire is an amazing thing. The sound of the cannons, the shouting of the men. I can't really imagine how it would have been for families living near battlefields. The fear and anxiety. The people of Gettysburg listened to the sounds for three days. Three days!
Our first arrivals to the ice station needed just cool wet rags to help cool them down. They were redfaced, sweating and dusty. One gentleman was kneeling on the ground, thinking he was in trouble I ran to him and doused him with a wet iced rag. Poor guy looks at me and tells me he was simply waiting for the privy. Sgt Lawson then called me, at the 17th camp site they had a heat stroke casualty. Quickly Mrs Cylik and I swooped down on the lad that was sitting in a chair. We iced him, got him on the ground and monitored his pulse.
I was rather annoyed that his unit would not allow us to remove his wool pants. Had he been in the Third Maine, common sense would have prevailed over modesty...so as a last resort we dumbed ice water over his groin area (normally ice bags to the Femoral pulse points in the groin would have sufficed). I am glad to report the soldier eventually recovered.


Our lads cooling down ...

No comments: