Thursday, September 13, 2007

September Storm part 3, Saturday Evening


Right before Mail call, the troops were gathered, in the current state of undress and called to make judgement over a possible CS informant. It was quite entertaining for the soldier to try and explain a picture of a Southern Belle (Not his wife), a confederate flag, gold bars and a letter from a CS general. I don't recall if the man was hanged or not as the ladies were not consulted.



As the men cooled down, I seemed to get hotter! I peeled several layers off leaving my dress, corset, undershirt, bloomers and and thats it. A complete state of undress for a proper victorian woman. But I have to say I don't recall ever feeling as hot as I did around 5 pm that evening, despite the ice water and cold rags. As long as I kept sweating I wasn't going to worry. Amazing how heat makes you not want to eat. Despite the delicious meal by Chef Bray, I just couldn't. As the sun finally started to go down, the bite of the heat seem to go with it making the air tolerable. The Third Maine guys gathered their weapons and headed for the woods for some good old fashion skirmishes. With only four of us in camp chatting, we talked through the gunfire until it came closer and we could see the CS troops right near our camp. It was great to watch
but once again I wanted to join in!






Invasion of the Rebels!


With the troops skirmishing in the woods, there was bound to be a few injuries. First there was one of our guys (his name, I think was Joe?) who got a twig to the eye. Thankfully it popped out his contact lens and seemed to spare his eye. The second was Cpl Kyle H. Some one shot their musket less then ten feet behind him. The shot covered the 2nd Corporal's neck with powder! He remained deaf in right ear for hours with a headache and ringing of the left ear. Of Course I am not convinced that he also like the fact he couldnt hear me talk anymore!



The most grievous of injuries was that of the brave 2nd Sergeant Matt B. He was wounded in the woods finding a splinter in his hand on the knuckle. It was a horrid site, the pain, that redness. I asked that he be allowed to go to the nearest ER for a shower and some airconditioned rest, but no, alas the hardcore officers would not allow it so he was forced to suffer his injuries in silence.


A lot of Stripes in this picture....2nd Corporal Kyle H, 1st Sergeant Glen L and
2nd Sergeant Matt B.

No comments: