Saturday, July 12, 2008

Gettysburg 2008 Part 4



My Confederate Day Continued...

Battle: "The Devil's to Pay", First Day Struggle at Willoughby Run

Tracy and I, despite the light rain, decided to watch the battle from the Union side near the bleachers. Overall a very good site to watch the battle. While there we met a photographer from National Geographic. He took alot of pictures (not of us) and told us to check the NG web site for the pictures later this month.



The battle was amazing! Just the size and organization of having this type of event is enough to impress. And the artillery were amazing to watch. From where we were, we watched many Union groups march to the field and I was able to spot the Third Maine. Of note is a story told by a private regarding the soiled doves trying to temp the troops.


I hope Private Tom C does not mind me quoting him but he did such a great job:

We reformed, marched up the hill when suddenly the Captain ordered “Eyes front!” Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, the best way to make someone look at something is to tell them not to. We then spied the Captain’s concern - several soiled doves stood nearby - those poor children had cast away dress and bodice to make clear to the passing soldiers their commercial intentions. The Captain’s concern for the men was most understandable - like the sirens of antiquity, any weak soul harkening to such a seductive call could only find himself soon dashed among rocks in ruin.

I had no way of seeing where the 15th Alabama might be.



After the battle (and yes, more shopping!) I finally ran into Miss Vicky and stuck with her while she looked for some of the other 15th members. Finally we decided to head back to the CS camps via the hay wagon. Again, this was no speeding event. Because of the rain, the CS roads were so muddy that the event planners had to close the road up into the camps while they poured crushed stone on the roadway. That left me, Miss Sandy and Charlene to hike up the hill
(we sent Miss Vicky ahead on a golf cart).



Now I haven't spent alot of time with Little Miss Charlene, but she was delightful! We held hands as we walked and despite her being tired, we made it back to camp. At that point the modern age attacked in the form of my ringing cell phone. My presence was requested in the year 2008 again. I hiked back down the hill (didn't I just get here!) and met my family on Table Rock Road.


Battle: "Holding the High Ground", Defending East Cemetery Hill

There we were able to watch some of the evening battle from the Confederate side (Where were the 15th?)


While we watched it started to rain..Hard so I headed back to the RV.

No comments: