Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Gettysburg 2008 Part 1

The 145th Anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg took place July 4, 5th and 6th 2008. I was honored to be a participant and the next few blog entries will be about those three days.

I actually left Saturday, June 28th and drove to my sister’s in Maryland. Our car was stuff with all sorts of Civil war paraphernalia: Tent, table, crates, blankets, dresses, writing desk, small barrel...as if I was leaving for the real war!

We didn’t actually leave for Gettysburg until Thursday July 3rd. And as luck would have it, we were stuck in traffic and it took longer to get there then we hoped. We set up the RV and I quickly headed to camp arriving at 5pm.




Now finding the right camp was entertaining to say the least. At least I knew where my tent didn’t belong. I wasn’t with the cavalry or the artillery. That narrowed it down to a many acre field of Infantry. I circled the area, several times, and at last I stopped and called "Uncle Dick". Logically he asked to identify my surroundings. "I am near the flags" referring to the regimental flags. "And now you’ll tell me you’re by the white tents too!" he said...For the record, I thought I was quite clear in my directions. He saved me, led me to the Third Maine and helped me set up the tent. Good ol’ Uncle Dick!



Being a "Ramada Ranger" I of course headed back to the RV to sleep.

1 comment:

Michael Johnson said...

I think everyone can relate to your story. The big events make it interesting to say the least.

Can't wait to hear more!