Monday, July 28, 2008

Confederates at Fort Knox!

For the first time I was 100% confederate at an event that involved the public. At Gettysburg the Blue and Gray were separated so there was not a lot of interaction for civilians, not in the true sense of being a person of the time. At the train events I go with the underdog, which is always the North. But at Ft Knox there was no question, I was a lady of succession, trying to get information from the 2oth Maine to give to the 15th Alabama.

The encampment had a beautiful view of the Penobscott Narrows bridge. We were on the eastern side of the fort overlooking Battery A. The Yankees were stationed in the fort itself. I visited their camp twice on Saturday, once before the battle (they won). I was invited back by a fiddler player who was willing to tune my dulcimer. When I returned with the instrument he used an electronic tuner and I was able to sit a spell with one of the men who enjoyed singing songs of the period. He knew many of them and even sang the first verse of a Rebel song or two.

During the Saturday skirmish, one of the privates was "wounded" and once again I was required to remove a bullet with my knitting needle.

Our Historian Taking Pictures

Sunday, there was another battle (we won!). No knitting needle required for the Southern Gentleman. One thing I learned about the Rebels, is that I have a lot to learn about the confederacy. Another thing I learned is that a lot of people thing the Civil war was just about slavery. Had I not been aware of the ongoing issue of state's rights as far back as when the country was formed, I would most likely think that it was all about slavery too.
(pictures to be posted once they are sent to me)

1 comment:

Wraithsq said...

>JAB< >PROD, PROD< Thanks Deb, I needed some extra guilt! You are going to have to e-mail me your address again so I can send you a CD. >JAB< This is what happens when she gets crazy with her knitting needle!! Beware the woman who knits!!