Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cedar Creek

145th Anniversary of Cedar Creek
Oct 17-19

Friday
My sister lent me her VW bug. I love driving this car! It has automatic headlights and gets great milage. I arrived around 4pm and was happy to find that Dick and Marcia had already arrived and had kindly set up a tent for me to dump my things in. They also carted my clothing to the event since I flew down a few days before. It was cold and drizzling off and on but as usually, Chef Bray had dinner on the fire and plenty of wood.
2nd Vermont Leader & Captain Lawson

Marcia and I were sleeping at a hotel...yes I am a “Ramada Ranger”. On the way back to the hotel I got stopped by law enforcement. I knew I wasn’t speeding! Well, the automatic headlights on turn on the headlights, not the rest of the running lights. He very kindly (as if talking to a child) explained to me that I needed to turn on all the lights. (Ouch?). Marcia and I couldn’t stop laughing on the drive to the hotel.

Day 1 Battle
Saturday
Ok, I am all for realism, but does it have to be cold and rainy? The ladies were busy writing fun letters to the soldiers. We fell in with the 2nd Vermont And these guys are great! I can see us working together again. During lunch I got a real surprise (of the best kind!). My sister and brother-in-law surprised me by showing up. We had lunch together then headed to the Suttlers (also known as the canvas mall). The prices were scary at times but I did manage to by...*insert drum roll here* black under-sleeves and pocket watch holder.
Day 1 Lining up for Battle

Soon after it was time for the battle. I took lots of pictures and as always, was itching to get onto the field. An entertainingly cold evening. I did not attend the dance but chose a warm bed and hot shower instead.
Chapel
Sunday
The rain finally stopped by 8 am but was replaced by a strong cold wind. I attended an 1860's Catholic field mass. It was awesome! The priest did a great job and the Latin was explained to us during mass. Even the singing was in Latin.


The battle in the afternoon was great to watch. I watched from the Artillery vantage point and spoke at length with a member of the Rhode Island Battery B.
Lining up for day 2 battle

Too fast the event was over and we were having to pack up. But as always, we spent the weekend connecting with old friends and making new ones.

General and Mrs Grant

No comments: