Sunday, November 16, 2008

Multiple Personalities

Many of the ladies who re-enact have multiple impressions that they "perform" during re-enactments. Each persona has their own background and behavior. I have decided that I would share my multiple personalities. Most are done whether I am Union or Rebel that day.

The Company Seamstress: The clue to this persona is that I have my tent and there is a sign on it reading "Seamstress". The funniest part of this is that I don't machine sew very well at all.
My "brother" Michael is in the unit I work for but is usually a prisoner of war. I usually have letters from him in my tent. Most import is that the Seamstress is true to the company and not a spy. Hey, come to think of it, there are a few privates that owe me money for sewing I have done!



Private Bergeron's Wife:
I am a camp follower because we lost our farm when the private joined the war. He is never seen around camp because he is on picket duty or in the brig for drinking and gambling. I am not a spy.




Maryland Bible Society Member: This lady tires to ensure that the boys receive religious guidance and enters camp handing out cards or pamphlets. The truth is that she is a spy and is actually seeking information on where the troop is going. She also is the cousin of Rose Greenhow the Washington DC spy for the Confederacy. I only do this persona when I am with the Union. I have letters from Rose in my basket along with maps of the Railroads.


Sanitary Commission Member: Dressed as a local lady, I visit the local Union camp and inspect it. I have only done this once with the other ladies and it was sooo much fun!


Train Patron: This is the most fun and challenging persona because at these events both my companies are represented and fighting each other. Usually I am pro union and have some knowledge if healing skills. I use my knitting needles to remove bullets and have "morphine" tablets (Altoids actually) to help those in pain. I try to be nice to my Rebels too though they always outnumber the union at these events.


Well that's it, that generally what I do. I am planning another persona for the next national event. I will be dressed as a man and go onto the battle field with a first aid kit, Ice and water. Anyone got an AED I could borrow?

No comments: