Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Freeport 12.02.07


The next day after the Ear Muff Parade, I again found myself in the car and in period dress (no Farb either!) and headed to lunch at the Jamison Tavern. This tavern was built in the late 1700s.






I always find the reaction of those seeing us in period dress immensely entertaining. When I entered the tavern I got mostly stares from people. During lunch we had requests from a tourist for pictures. We rode in a horse drawn wagon around Freeport, again soliciting stares mostly.




A few asked of we were part of a local play. Another assumed we were caroling. My personal favorite was when a woman noticed the antique fur muff I was carrying to warm my hands. She asked what sort of fur it was suppose to be assuming it was fake. When I explained it was real fur and an antique she seemed taken aback.."You know some people would find that offensive around here" I did try to point out that it was an antique and that the animal had been dead for decades.




There is a saying..."Better period correct then politically correct" ....


With dressing I agree with this statement


(I don't agree with being disrespectful to African Americans or calling them the "N" word)






No comments: